My Breast feeding Adventures By One Nutty Mama, Kim B

Intro:


I am a stay at home mom in Las Vegas to 4 kids. I was trained in Culinary Arts as a Chef, but found that I yearned to experience more of motherhood. We love to cook and craft together as a family. I have always loved to review products and books to share my experience with friends. (especially the products I can't live without) My blog is all about Cooking recipes, cleaning tips, kid crafts, reviews, and insights into my nutty journey through motherhood.

Blog Address: http://onenuttymama.blogspot.com/

My Breast Feeding Adventures



The Initial Journey

My breast feeding journey started many years ago with the birth of my oldest child, Lauryn. I tried to breast feed as soon as she was placed in my arms hours after her delivery. (she was born sleeping due to the pain medication.) She was just so tired and refused to nurse. All my sweet little girl wanted to do is sleep. I tried to feed her every hour and kept trying to no avail. Over 12 hours go by and she still had no interest in eating. With shift change this very gruff nurse came in and told me I was starving my baby and she would die if I didn't feed her. I instantly felt like a failure. What was wrong with me that my child didn't want my milk?



My husband came back from eating his lunch to find me crying. As he held me I sobbed out what the nurse had said to me. He stormed to the nurses station and demanded to see the charge nurse. This kindly older lady calmly listened to him explain. Before he could finish she rushed to my room to reassure me that I was not starving my baby. Our baby girl had just been through the biggest ordeal of her little life and was just tired. After shedding a tear with me and many warms hugs later, she had reassured me that my baby would eat when ready and to just keep trying. The horrible nurse from earlier got sent home on suspension and permanently removed from the maternity ward rotation. Just eight hours later my little girl was nursing like a champion.



For nine wonderful weeks she thrived on my milk, but I had developed this nagging back pain. At first I thought it was just pain from the epidural, but it kept getting worse. After being convinced to finally see a Doctor, I was laying there on the exam table when the Doctor suddenly stops and tells me to get to the hospital right now. He then informs me that he believes my appendix may rupture. After 9 long tear-filled hours in the hospital, I find out that it was just a severe kidney infection. The good news is there was no need for surgery, but the bad news was that the medicine to make me better would contaminate my breast milk. It was the end of breast feeding for us. I felt betrayed by my body.



The Undermining

When my second daughter, Morgan, was born I was determined to breast feed again. She caught on to nursing within the first hour after being born. It wasn't until she was 5 months old and my parents came for a visit that we ran into trouble. All my mom could talk about was how skinny my daughter was. I was stunned to hear this because it hadn't been hinted at during a single one of my WIC appointments. While they were in town my mom bought formula and fed my daughter a bottle behind my back. That was all it took for my daughter to turn away from the breast. After they left she would just scream and cry when I tried to breast feed her. There was no nipple confusion, it was a full blown refusal of the breast. I tried pumping and could not pump enough to feed her. The milk was there, but I couldn't get the pump to work for me. She began to lose weight and I was advised by WIC to switch her to formula. My heart broke hearing that it was over again and much sooner than I had hoped.



The Teeth

With my third child, Nadia, I was blessed to be pregnant at the same time as my little sister. We were each others support system. We would get together weekly and suggest different latching positions to each other. Laying on my bed nursing my child as my little sister did the same with her son was the best bonding experience not only with my child but with my sister as well. She was there to remind me to drink more water and I was there to reassure her that the marathon feedings don't last forever. As well as all the times we ending up boosting each other with some much needed laughter.



Nadia had nursed within minutes of being born even though nurses scoffed at me for trying. (she only stayed on for a minute or two but it was enough to bolster my confidence) Seven wonderful months went by. Then the teeth came and she loved to put them to the test. Unfortunately it was my tender flesh she loved to test them on. After she repeatedly drew blood with her new chompers I began to dread feeding my child. I didn't want to look at her innocent little face with dread and anxiety. After a long tearful discussion with not only my husband but my very supportive little sister we made the decision to switch to formula. I was left disappointed in myself again. I took it as a personal failure.



Still going Strong

While pregnant with my 4th child, Maxx, I joined a due date group on a mothering website. This time I was even more determined to breast feed for the full first year. I researched the different boobie traps I had fallen into with my last children and was driven not to fall short of my goal this time. Before having him I found a hospital that refuses to separate the child from it's mother unless it is a medical emergency. I asked my husband to be my water pusher. (If I was nursing he needed to be forcing another glass of water at me to drink with the reminder that water makes milk)



Within minutes of being born Maxx was nursing, the attending nurse almost applauded at our success. It wasn't all rose petals and kittens though. Maxx was very eager to latch, a little too eager though. He was latching incorrectly. With the support of my mother's group I reassured myself that he was trying to learn and to keep trying. Then when I began to doubt my supply I again took the advice of those wonderful ladies and set us up on a breast-cation. My very supportive husband stepped up to handle the house making the breast-cation possible.(not an easy feat with 3 older kids) I stayed in bed with my newborn son skin to skin doing nothing but focusing on us and perfecting our nursing. All it took was a weekend in bed to turn things around. The cracked nipples healed because they were getting enough air and Maxx was a professional at latching on.



When I saw that first tooth bud poking through the skin. I cried thinking of the past pain. Then I got a valuable tip from my on-line friends; when my son bites to tell him, "No bite!" in a firm tone and to end the breast feeding session. It is also better if you set them down away from you as well. He cried down the moon the first time I tried this. I wanted to cry along with him, but I stuck to my guns. An hour later I tried feeding him again and I didn't even feel a hint of his teeth.



Maxx and I are now at just 2 weeks short of 11 months breastfeeding. He is a professional at latching on correctly and easily. He will nurse happily from any position including while in a baby carrier. We overcame cracked nipples, fore-milk/hind-milk imbalance, nursing marathons, low supply, and teeth. I look back and even with all the various setbacks over my four very different experiences it has still been the most rewarding adventure I have ever been blessed to experience.





The best lesson I took from my breast feeding journey is:

Surround yourself with supportive people. It doesn't have to be your spouse or family at all, it can be an on-line group of women or even a professional lactation consultant. Don't suffer in silence. Ask questions, because there is someone out there that has the answer. They say it takes a village to raise a child. What they really mean is it takes a supportive village. Surround yourself with the right kind of village and be that village for someone else in return.


Thanks so much for the guest post and please check out her blog!! Great story!

1 comments:

"Doctor" S.M., PhD in Blogging said...

I'm a new follower :)

-The Mom Adventures

Post a Comment

Please leave your email in your comment as well so i have you info if entering a giveaway! Don't foget when entering a giveaway with a form, please do not leave comments for entries!