Re posted: Frugal Friday: On A budget: Your Baby's Nursery

I love this post and I thought i would share it with you again!!

The biggest expense other then actually having your baby is the nursery. So the question is can you do up a fantastic baby's nursery in under $500 dollars? Of course you can!! I did and so can you. First off you need to set yourself a budget on what you want to spend in all!! Once you have you that then you can start looking. You have to start early, once you hit the second trimester start shopping. This should give you a good 3 months to start saving. My baby Nico's nursery cost less then $300. I don't have all the receipts but I know what went into it!
So let's start with the big stuff:
The Furniture:
  • Crib
  • Changing table/Dresser
  • glider/rocking chair

Where to look?
If you are on a tight budget then you know how expensive putting together a nursery can look. You want it to be special in any attempt!
  • Craigslist - find your city - There is a app for craigslist now where it will alert you if your keyword item was posted in your area!! Great used Items in your area!
  • freecycle -find your city - You can receive a email daily with the available things people are freecycling. You just have to be willing to drive around and get them! You can find some good stuff though.
  • Garage sales/Estate Sales
  • Word of mouth- A friend of mine got a crib from a friend in our mommy group FREE! Yes, she was willing to give it her for nothing. So if you are going to be a new mom find a new mommy group to join and make friends. There are always giving people around to help.

I found my crib and dresser/changing table as a set for $200 on Craigslist! It was in excellent condition 3 in one crib that converts later in white and a really nice white dresser/changing table. You have to grab it up if you see something you like for a great deal! See My pics below!  My glider was given to me from a friend of a friend who was giving it away. It was beat up when i got it but a good friends mom who was a seamstress remade new cushions for it. I just bought the fabric, which was on clearance @ Joann's. In all it cost $15!! I even had a enough extra fabric to sew a valance(for my twins room)

The Bedding:
So even though we all know that no crib bumpers are to be used in cribs we want those cute sets. Let me tell you that you can find some great deals on brand new bedding sets. Smoking deals!! I was at target last week and found crib sets 75% off. They were $16.74 for the Dwell Studio crib bumpers, sheet, and comforter/blanket. Pictured below

Both of these were $16.74 @ Target on Clearance

I also found my little man's bedding set marked down @ Babies r us. I was there just checking clearance and they had these sets out in front marked down from $180 down to 1/2 of that which was $90 then.... 75% off of that price.. So i paid $25 bucks for a really nice bedding set with the works! I love the brown and white zebra print.  You can see it in the pics!

So Where to look:
Target- Clearance
Babies r us- Clearance
Online- there are many many different online deal a day sites where you can find great deals.
Craigslist- Sometimes people will post new or barley used set for 75% less then it was new! Great deals..like that pottery barn set you had your eye on but is way out of your price range.

They key to the bedding is keep looking. You can always find one and then see one more you like later...so craigslist it yourself if you want.

EXAMPLE: From craigslist today!!
Excellent used condition, 8-piece baby crib bedding set. Cocalo Oasis features a safari animal theme in gender neutral green, yellow & blue, perfect for a new boy or girl. This set includes: crib bumper, crib sheet, dust ruffle, comforter, diaper stacker, 2-window valances & crib mobile. This set retails for around $170.
They were asking $65 or best offer!!




The other extras:
 The wall art, the changing pad, Diaper stacker, etc, etc.

Again with craigslist.. it is great for finding all this stuff.
Joann's - Find some clearance fabric or use a coupon. I used some fabric i had and a little of new accent fabric.
Babies R us- I found all wall hangers for $10 on clearance. They are really cute.
Lowes/Home depot- Removeable wall stickers, oops paint- $5 for a gallon..quite a savings from $20 a gallon. I never did manage to paint the walls in Nico's room though.

I made my diaper stacker, and valance. As well as the initial with his name on it.



The last thing i love in my son's room is a great little organizer called a shoe organizer which i hung up and can put all sorts of stuff in. It's a great way to organizer all the little hats, diapers, socks, mittens, cloth inserts, etc.

Last little photo of the Name on the door.. I found these cute letters on clearance @ Target for $3.74.
I did all the boys rooms with them and then some,lol!


Total on a Nursery:


Furniture      $200
Bedding       $25
Wall decor   $10
Wall stickers $5 - - from Lowe's
                    $4 -  Target letters
Glider           $15 for fabric
Diaper stacker & valance $10  for fabric 
      
Total : $269

Note: the extras were given as shower gifts for the twins and passed on to Nico...Poor Nico always getting the hand me downs.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Sweet! You are my hero!!

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

I LOVE this room!!! Super cute ideas!!

Diaper Dad said...

Great post! I love to freecycle, but you have to be a little wary of used furniture, especially in larger cities. Make sure their are no little travelers on them.
Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Lisa said...

You are my hero Lo!!! my deal maven hero!!!!

Lisa said...

ha i already said that lol

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! :) I love your blog mama! Heres a link to the award I gave you!
http://3amclothdiapersnopins.blogspot.com/2010/09/some-awesomeness.html

Post a Comment

Please leave your email in your comment as well so i have you info if entering a giveaway! Don't foget when entering a giveaway with a form, please do not leave comments for entries!